United scraps their way to 0-0 draw in New England

Foxborough, Massachusetts, March 12, 2016 – D.C. United gained their first point of the season with a tough-as-nails 0-0 draw against the New England Revolution this afternoon at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. After giving up four second-half goals in their season opener in Los Angeles this past Sunday, United were much more resolute in defense and kept the home side to only three shots on goal in Travis Worra’s MLS starting debut.

The second-year keeper was forced into action as Andrew Dykstra was left home in Washington after suffering a slight injury in training during the week. United were also left short-handed as Patrick Nyarko, Markus Halsti and Fabian Espindola didn’t make the trip either. Worra didn’t have too much to worry about as he comfortably made all three of his saves but it was the one that got over his head that caused the most trouble when Lee Nguyen’s shot hit off the crossbar midway through the second half to give the Revs their best opportunity to take the lead.

While United did well enough in their opener to carve out more chances than was reasonably expected, today’s game fell back into line with expectations considering the players left behind. United was credited with three shots on goal as well with Rob Vincent’s first half drive the most dangerous of them all. However, it was the three near chances in the second half that United will look back on as missed opportunities to steal three points from the Revs.

First up was Luciano Acosta’s breakaway midway through the half but just as he was about to drive into the penalty area, his touch failed him and it allowed just enough time for Revolution defender Jose Goncalves to break the play up. United had two golden opportunities late in the match when substitute Miguel Aguilar broke down the right sideline and spotted fellow substitute Julian Buscher parked on the penalty spot all alone. A desperate leg flick from a Revolution defender prevented the ball from squeezing through traffic to Buscher who would have had Revs goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth at his mercy.

The ensuing corner kick saw Bobby Bosworth’s flick header make its way to the far post where Nick DeLeon’s left-footed blast sailed just wide of the opposite upper 90.

The Revolution should have won the game in stoppage time when Nguyen set up Kellyn Rowe inside the United penalty area but token pressure from United defender Taylor Kemp forced Rowe’s shot just wide of the far post.

Next up for United is their home opener against the Colorado Rapids on Sunday afternoon at RFK Stadium. This match will be seen nationally on ESPN2 at 5pm EST.



0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply