United bounces back with 3-0 win over Colorado

DC United's record at this point says it all about their 2008 MLS campaign. 10 wins, 10 losses and 1 draw. It's either feast or famine for United this season. Tonight was a feast as United rolled through the Colorado Rapids with relative ease.

United was coming off a another road loss on Wednesday night against New England and weren't exactly feeling good about their chances when they learned that yet another key starter (Fred) would be lost for three to four weeks with a hamstring injury. That would leave United even further depleted heading into tonight's match.

However, the Black and Red were in control of this match from the very beginning. Though it did take United 45 minutes to take the lead, the flow of the match was completely under United's thumb. In the 45th minute United midfielder Ivan Guerrero fed a ball to Luciano Emilio in the box. The Brazilian held off defender Cory Gibbs and laid a ball into the path of the charging Joe Vide who half-volled a rocket into the side netting for a 1-0 lead.

United were barely done celebrating when goalkeeper Louis Clayton was forced into the only difficult save of the evening by tipping a goal bound header from Nick LaBrocca over the bar.

Colorado made two changes at the half to try and jumpstart their moribund offense. Strangely enough, none of those changes involved former United playmaker and league MVP Christian Gomez, relegated to the bench for the second consecutive match. However, Gomez was called upon when one of the halftime substitutes Greg Dalby went out injured just 13 minutes into the half.

The moves made little difference as United continued to defend well and move through the midfield with ease. United finally put the match to rest in the 82nd minute when Santino Quaranta scored his third goal of the season. Emilio got his second assist of the evening when he dished off a pass to his right into the path of Quaranta who took one touch and hit a bomb across the face of goal and into the opposite side upper 90 past a helpless Preston Burpo.

United then subbed in Ryan Cordeiro and Mike Zaher and the youngsters put a jolt of life into the United attack that resulted in the third and final goal of the evening. Quavas Kirk, literally on the field for 10 seconds, pounced onto a Bryan Namoff saved header for the final score. The play began when Quaranta played a quick corner back to Zaher who hit a perfect cross into the box. Namoff headed well across goal but Burpo got a hand on it only to see Kirk slam the rebound past him.

DC United will have a chance for revenge next weekend when they host the New York Red Bulls at RFK Stadium. New York hung a 4-1 loss on United just three weeks ago.

1 reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply